Wednesday, 30 September 2015

Game Character clothing.

I've been working on the clothing for my game characters. I took the opportunity to learn Marvelous Designer to help speed up my workflow. I found it pretty intuitive and it helped to create the realistic folds in the different materials I wanted for my character.

Early attempts were pretty basic.

The software was easy to get to grips with and once I'd manipulated the folds and adjusted the material parameters I was happy with the results. I'm still working on the overcoat and a few accessories, but my character is looking very dashing so far, if a little bald! 

I took the mesh into Zbrush to model the embroidery on the waistcoat. I used the character research and designs I created earlier in development to help me.

I created a quick turntable render in max of the high poly mesh. I'm pleased with the results achieved whilst experimenting with Mental-Ray materials and a few patterns from my own texture library. It should be easy to recreate the look once I redo the topology of the model, bake out the maps, and make the customised PBR shaders for UE4.

Friday, 18 September 2015

NASA Tournament Labs Modelling Competition.

So I entered a modelling competition, set up by NASA, to create precision 3D models for use in their EVA simulations, to calculate the movements of the robotic arm aboard the ISS. You can find the competition here. Out of hundreds of entries and ninety-one finalists I came fourth in the first competition...not bad!

 I was praised for the quality of my work which was thanks enough, but congratulations go to the winner, and I can see where he went above and beyond in terms presentation of his work. I really should've done an exploded render of my model to show all the different elements separately. Anyway, here are the images I created.